Thursday, August 16, 2007

patriarchy

I just finished re-reading bell hooks' book on love (it's called Communion). I had forgotten about bell since my 12th grade women's studies teacher Mr. Coleman first introduced her to me. Her writing really speaks to me. She brings up a lot of interesting ideas about communication, love, and partnerships/relationships. One of her premises is that a man or woman's search for love is valid but that this quest is undermined in our patriarchal society.

When I was back in DC, I saw a lot of family dynamics that made me quite sad. Not my family's, but my boyfriend's. Relating back to bell hooks' book, she discusses how men (and women) sometimes do not have the "ability" or tools to love.

We were back in DC because Marcos' mom was getting remarried. The situation became a bit odd since we were staying at his dad's house. I feel sorry for Marcos' dad. He's such a stereotype of all latino men (sorry to say that). It's tragic. He lectures instead of having a dialogue, he never asks questions and he always has all the answers. The effect of this behavior hurts everyone in the process. People don't get enough attention.

Children need a lot of attention. Parents need to ask a LOT of questions. They need to show interest. It can't be faked. Children don't care how smart/accomplished parents are (up to a certain point).

No comments: